If you have a game plan, it can be easy.
Don’t avoid dining out during the holidays for fear of blowing your diet. Try the following tips to make the healthy choice the easy choice:
- Before hitting the restaurant, look online and decide what you will eat so that you aren’t tempted by less healthy choices once there.
- Consider ordering an appetizer instead of an entrée, or split an entrée with a friend. Meal portions can be quite large, and half an entrée is likely sufficient to satisfy you.
- Have your server box half of your meal before they bring it to the table. Eat the rest for lunch the next day. Save calories and money!
- Don’t be a member of the Clean Plate Club. Stop eating when you are full.
- Don’t drink your calories. Choose water or an unsweetened beverage.
- Avoid ordering anything described as fried, breaded, sautéed or cream-based.
- Order a small salad or bowl of broth-based soup before your meal. Studies show that you are likely to eat fewer total calories for the meal.
- Ask for leaner or lighter substitutions or to have the salad dressing placed “on the side.”
- Skip the “freebies” brought to the table before the meal. Ask the server to take away bread, breadsticks, or any nibbles.
Want dessert? Try sharing one dessert with several friends.