Sweet Chili Tofu Sandwiches with Arugula & Chili-Garlic Spread
By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Kylie Held,
Chili-Honey Glazed Tofu is baked and served on whole grain bread with arugula, tomatoes and a Greek yogurt-based, chili-garlic spread to make a healthy and wholesome sandwich. The tofu and Greek yogurt provide a source of lean protein while the arugula and tomatoes create a nutrient-rich sandwich. Enjoy this delicious sandwich on a hot summer day while sitting poolside with your lunch guests.
|1, 14 ounce block||extra firm tofu|
|2 tablespoons||olive oil|
|1 ½ teaspoons||ancho chili powder|
|Greek Yogurt Spread|
|6 tablespoons||Greek yogurt, plain|
|½ teaspoon||ancho chili powder|
|½ teaspoon||garlic powder|
|2 teaspoons||lemon juice|
|2 whole||roma tomatoes|
|1 cup, packed||arugula|
|8 slices||whole grain bread|
Method of Preparation
- Slice tofu into 5 slabs. Wrap slabs in several paper towels and place them between two heavy books/pans. Allow the excess moisture to press out of the tofu for 15 minutes.
- Combine honey, olive oil, chili powder, and paprika in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds to thin.
- Pour thinned honey mixture into a shallow bowl and lightly coat each tofu piece in the honey mixture.
- Place tofu pieces onto a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once after 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine Greek yogurt, ancho chili powder, garlic powder and lemon juice. Cover and place in the fridge to thicken until tofu is done.
- Slice each tomato into 4 slices.
- Toast bread and divide chili-garlic spread between 4 slices.
- Assemble sandwich by layering each with 2-½ tofu slices, 2 tomato slices and ¼ cup arugula. Top with remaining slices of bread.
- Slice and serve.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Calories 353, Protein 22 g, Carbohydrates 35 g, Total fat 15 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 265 mg, Sugars 11 g, Fiber 6.5 g