Rustic Tomato and Chick Pea Bruschetta
By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Destini Borchardt,
A simple and classic Italian recipe transformed. The garbanzo beans not only add texture to the dish, but a healthy serving of protein and fiber as well. Serve as a wholesome appetizer for your next gathering. If you are looking for an entrée idea, this bruschetta is so versatile that it can also be served as a topping for grilled fish or chicken breasts.
|1||whole grain loaf of bread|
|2||beefsteak tomatoes, diced|
|1||small yellow onion, chopped and diced|
|1 (15 oz)||can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed|
|1.5||tbsp olive oil|
|1||tbsp balsamic vinegar|
|1||tbsp garlic, minced and sautéed|
|1/3||cup basil, chopped|
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Slice bread loaf in half lengthwise and in half again.
3. Place bread slices on a baking tray and put in the oven to toast. Let bread bake for 7 minutes. Flip slices and let bake for an additional 7 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix diced tomatoes, onions, and beans.
5. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cooked garlic and basil to the mixing bowl. Stir well.
6. Take toast out of the oven. Spoon bruschetta mixture onto each toast. Serve.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 32 pieces
Serving Size: 2 pieces of bruschetta
Calories 131, Protein 6 g, Carbohydrates 20 g, Total fat 3 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 292 mg, Sugars 4 g, Fiber 3 g