Bell Pepper Pizza Bites
By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Destini Borchardt,
If you are looking for an appetizer that is tasty, won't spoil your weight goals, and your friends as well as family will enjoy, then we have the perfect idea. Instead of pizza dough this recipe uses bell peppers. If peppers are not your favorite, you can substitute a baby Portobello mushroom cap.
|½ cup||low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded|
|½ cup||Turkey pepperoni, chopped|
|¼ cup||mushroom, sliced|
|¼ cup||onion, chopped|
|1 cup||tomato sauce|
|1 tablespoon||garlic, chopped|
|½ tablespoon||olive oil|
Method of Preparation
1. Heat oven to 350o F. Slice each pepper in half, removing seeds. Cut each half in half. There should be 8 pieces.
2. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray and arrange pepper slices on the sheet.
3. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until pepper slices are tender. While peppers are baking, in small sauté pan, add oil and vegetables. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent.
4. Remove cooked pepper slices and allow it to cool slightly.
5. Add a scoop or two of the tomato sauce to each pepper slice.
6. Add your choice of sautéed veggie, pepperoni or cheese.
7. Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted on top.
8. Remove from oven and serve.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 slice
Calories 63, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 5 g, Total fat 3.1 g, Cholesterol 9.0 mg, Sodium 250 mg, Sugars 2.8 g, Fiber 1.3 g