By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Destini Borchardt,
Who wouldn’t love to put fabulous food on the table...delicious meals that are healthy, tasty and can be prepared in record time? This Cuban inspired recipe gets it’s big flavor from a mixture of divine seasonings and serves as a healthy option to everyday ground turkey. This dish offers both sweet and smoky flavors making it perfect for everyone’s taste buds.
|1 tablespoon||olive oil|
|2||cloves garlic, chopped or garlic powder|
|1 cup||onion, chopped|
|1 cup||green bell pepper, chopped|
|1 pound||ground turkey|
|5||Spanish olives, pitted and chopped|
|1 teaspoon||black pepper, ground|
|1 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1 teaspoon||ground cloves|
|2||dried bay leaves|
|1-½ cups||diced tomatoes, no salt added|
Method of Preparation
1. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Sauté garlic, onion and green pepper until onions are transparent.
3. In the same pot, add ground turkey. Cook 5 minutes until turkey is slightly browned. Stir frequently.
4. Combine the olives, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves. Mix together until well incorporated. Let simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Cover with lid.
5. Add drained tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove bay leaves from pot.
7. Reduce heat to low, remove lid and let any additional liquid evaporate.
8. Serve and enjoy.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/2 cup portion
Calories 151, Protein 25 g, Carbohydrates 6.3 g, Total fat 5.5 g, Cholesterol 100 mg, Sodium 153 mg, Sugars 4 g, Fiber 2.8 g