Are You Eating Breakfast?
By Lindsey House, RD LD Certified Personal Trainer through the American Council on Exercise and Beth Taschuk, RD LD
Are you eating breakfast? If you answered yes, pat yourself on the back and keep up the good work! If you answered no, what is holding you back? Most patients attribute skipping breakfast to busy schedules or lack of planning… take a minute to write down your own reasons for skipping breakfast.
Benefits of Eating Breakfast:
- It is an excellent time to work on meeting your protein requirements.
- Breakfast provides the fuel you need to feel more energetic.
- Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism and breaks your ‘fast’ from a long night’s sleep.
- Eating breakfast helps to balance daily calories; individuals who skip breakfast tend to make up the calories later in the day.
The best way to assure you are consuming a healthy breakfast is to plan ahead. Make sure the grocery shopping is done before the week begins and pre-package meal options if you need to take them on the go. You may enjoy some of these healthy breakfast options.
- Grab a protein shake that you could drink on your way to work.
- High fiber cereal sprinkled in light yogurt
- Turkey sausage dipped in sugar-free maple syrup
- Scrambled egg sprinkled with low-fat shredded cheese
- Cottage cheese and pineapple chunks
Remember that breakfast can be one more way to reach your goals and at the same time, start your day off right.