Beef Strip Salad with Corn Salsa
By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Kylie Held,
Not sure what to make for your next get together? How about a healthy, colorful, filling salad as a main dish? This recipe combines strips of lean beef, topped with red bell peppers, a lime-cilantro corn salsa and a balsamic-Dijon dressing. This salad will be all the rave at your next summer luncheon. Be sure to have enough on hand for all of your awaiting guests to enjoy. Your guests will thank you for it.
|Steak and Marinade|
|1/4 cup||rice vinegar|
|1/4 cup||cilantro, roughly chopped|
|1-1/2 tablespoons||lime juice|
|2 teaspoons||lime zest|
|1 teaspoon||garlic powder|
|1 pound||beef top round steak, boneless|
|1 tablespoon||olive oil|
|2/3 cup||corn, frozen|
|1/4 cup||red onion, minced|
|1/4 cup||cilantro, lightly packed|
|1 teaspoon||lime juice|
|1/8 teaspoon||ground pepper|
|3 tablespoons||balsamic vinegar|
|1 tablespoon||Dijon mustard|
|1/2 tablespoon||lime juice|
|1 teaspoon||chili powder|
|4 cups, packed||spring lettuce mix|
|1 cup||red bell pepper, chopped|
Method of Preparation
1. Prepare marinade by combining rice vinegar, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest and garlic powder.
2. Trim all visible fat from steak. Place steak in a large shallow bowl. Pour marinade over the top of steak. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. Flip meat to other side halfway through marinating.
3. While steak is marinating, prepare corn salsa.
4. Place frozen corn in a microwave safe bowl with 2 inches of water. Microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Drain water from corn. Add red onion, cilantro, lime juice, ground pepper and salt. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
6. To a separate jar, add balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, lime juice, chili powder and cumin. Seal jar and shake. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
7. After beef has marinated for 6 plus hours, slice beef into 1-inch strips.
8. Add 1 tablespoons olive oil into a heavy-bottomed skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until hot.
9. Add in strips of beef and cook until done through, about 10 minutes flipping occasionally.
10. Plate by placing 1 (packed) cup lettuce onto each plate. Top each with 1/4 cup red bell peppers.
11. Divide corn salsa and beef strips between salads.12. Divide dressing equally over salad. Serve.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 salad
Calories 223, Protein 25.8 g, Carbohydrates 13.5 g, Total fat 7.5 g, Cholesterol 58.8 mg, Sodium 161.3 mg, Sugars 4 g, Fiber 3 g