Southwest Black Bean Soup
By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Jaime Ruisi,
We’re taking your traditional black bean soup to the southwest. Corn, carrots, cilantro and lime juice create a tangy and succulent dish. Top with lowfat cheddar cheese to drive the protein up, if you want to have this for a meal. Even garnish with avocado slices to add a smooth, rich texture.
|3 cups||low-sodium chicken broth|
|3 small||russet potatoes, cubed|
|3/4 cups||carrots, thinly sliced|
|1/3 cup||onions, chopped|
|2 cans (15 oz)||black beans|
|2 cups||whole kernel corn, frozen|
|3 tbsp||cilantro, chopped|
|1/2 tbsp||olive oil|
|1 tbsp||garlic, minced|
Method of Preparation
1. In a large pot bring chicken broth to a boil.
2. Add cubed potatoes and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pot and let cook for 15 minutes.
3. Add carrots and onions. Let cook for an additional 15 minutes.
4. Add black beans and corn to the pot. Let cook for 30 minutes.
5. Stir in cilantro, olive oil, and garlic. Reduce heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
6. Serve soup with a slice of avocado and garnish with cilantro.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 6 servings (9 cups)
Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Calories 177, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrates 36 g, Total fat 33 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 67 mg, Sugars 3 g, Fiber 17 g