Become the Very Best Version of Yourself
By Barb Brathwaite, RN MSN CS
I look at my life as a test and as the year passes, I grade myself on how well I have performed. Did I accomplish the things I set out to do? Did I maintain my health? Did I stay balanced in my personal life? Sometimes, I do well. Other times, I fail. But, I feel immensely blessed at the beginning of each year to start over and to have a chance to get it right. This year, I’m sharing what I’ve learned so far, to help you on your journey to a better life.
I want you to be the person you want to be. Get out of your comfort zone and reach for the stars. Be courageous and just start. Reinvent yourself and be the person you dream to be. Here are 12 ideas which you may want to try. Focus on one each month and you are sure to have your most fabulous year yet!
1. Follow your heart. Pursue your passion.
2. Give it your all. Do your best at everything you do.
3. Do what you love. This will make you feel satisfied and complete.
4. Love yourself. Focus on your strengths and encourage yourself to succeed. You can do it.
5. Set short term goals and reach them. Reaching your goals will bring empowerment and encourage you to be the best you can be.
6. Reach out to your friends. Don’t wait for them to contact you. Step out of your isolation. Surround yourself with positive people. Positive attitudes are contagious.
7. Stop focusing on your past failures. We all fail. Pick yourself up. Learn from your mistakes. It may be an opportunity in disguise.
8. Focus on your accomplishments, not failures.
9. Set your priorities. Take care of your needs. It is okay to say no and set limits.
10. Believe in yourself. Believe you can do whatever you set your mind to. We all have doubts. But, don’t allow the doubts to rule your life.
11. Affirm yourself every day. Look yourself in the mirror and speak to yourself in a positive way.
12. Develop some hobbies. Do something you love and release the positive hormones.
Bonus: If one of the above ideas does not resonate for you, here is an extra to ensure you have 12 monthly focus areas.
13. Change your negative thinking. Negative thinking creates negative feelings and negative behaviors. Think positive. Play the positive tapes of yourself. Envision yourself as you would like to be as you become the best you yet.