Chicken Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
By Luisa Hammett, MS
Looking for the perfect holiday dish to share at a party? Or, do you want something simple that you can prepare quickly for company? This recipe is particularly easy because you pretty much just pour everything into a baking dish. You can also make this a vegetarian dish by not adding chicken. The main ingredient, quinoa is quite the power food. Quinoa is a complete protein, gluten free and an excellent source of magnesium, zinc, iron and folate.
1 cup quinoa
1 (10 ounce) can mild enchilada sauce
1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen or fresh
1/2 cup canned low/no sodium black beans
1/2 cup diced onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken breast
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup shredded 2% low fat cheddar cheese, divided
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
Method of Preparation
1. In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, enchilada sauce, corn, black beans, onions, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 1/3 cup cheddar cheese.
4. Spread quinoa mixture into a baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
5. Serve immediately. Garnish with avocado and tomato, if desired.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup portion
Calories 430 Protein 24 g, Carbohydrates 67 g, Total fat 12 g, Cholesterol 21 mg, Sodium 132 mg, Sugars 2.5 g, Fiber 20 g