Metabolism on a Mission!
By Annessa Chumbley, RD LDN
Ever feel like your metabolism is stuck and never going to work for you again? I have good news…you can change that! Before we get on to our metabolism-pumping secrets, let’s remember that your metabolism is like a bonfire. It can be a little fire or a big fire, but there are some principles that come with keeping all fires burning…and your metabolism on the move!
Four metabolism moving secrets:
Remember, when it comes to metabolism, if you don’t fuel it, you’ll lose it!
Eggs with Legs!
This recipe is so fast...it only takes one minute in the microwave! During those fast-pace days, don’t forget your most important meal. Jump start your metabolism and tackle your day!
1 egg and 1 egg white, beaten together
2 Tablespoons low-fat shredded cheese, such as cheddar, mozzarella or monterey jack (cottage cheese is good as well!)
1 Tablespoon fresh chives, basil or cilantro
1/4 cup pre-cooked chicken or turkey sausage, chopped
1/4 cup mini ham cubes
2 Tablespoons chopped bell pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped tomato
1. Spray the interior of a small microwave-safe bowl (such as a 6-ounce ramekin or coffee mug) with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add in eggs and any other desired ingredients, and swish the bowl to mix altogether.
3. Microwave on high for 1 minute. If the center is still raw, cook in additional 10-second bursts so as to not dry out the omelet.
4. Enjoy on-the-go! Top with a little fat-free sour cream or Greek yogurt if desired!
Serves: 1 Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 110 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 220mg
Sodium: 200mg Total Carbohydrate: 1g Dietary Fiber: 0g Sugars: 0g Protein: 13g
Stir-Fry on the Fly!
1 small boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3 ounces)
1 cup Asian frozen vegetable mix (typically a mix of snow peas, water chestnuts, carrots, green beans, and other vegetables)
2 Tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
¼ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 clove garlic, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Spray a small skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat on medium high.
2. Cut chicken breast up into bite sized chunks, season with salt and pepper, and add to skillet. Sear chicken until cooked through, then add the frozen vegetables. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender but crisp. While stir fry is cooking, whisk the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl, adding a little hot water to smooth the mixture to a honey-consistency. Toss the sauce with the stir fry.
3. Serve and enjoy on the fly! (But remember to eat over 30 minutes!)
Nutrition Facts per recipe: Calories: 150; Calories from Fat: 30; Total Fat 3.5g; Saturated Fat 0.5g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 50g; Sodium 400g; Total Carbohydrate 7g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 3g; Protein 22g