Black Bean Potato Salad
By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Jaime Ruisi
A healthy and hearty potato salad made with black beans, tomatoes and olive oil. This recipe is perfect side dish for a barbecue this summer season.
5 small russet potatoes
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
½ cup onions, diced
1-½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
Method of Preparation
1. In a medium pot, bring water to a boil.
2. Wash and peel potatoes. Poke holes in peeled potatoes.
3. Add potatoes to boiling water. Cook until tender for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine beans, tomatoes, garlic and onion in a large mixing bowl.
5. Cube the cooked potatoes and add to the mixing bowl. Then, add olive oil and mix well.
6. Season with ground black pepper and salt.
7. Let cool and garnish with fresh parsley sprigs and a lime wedge.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 7 servings
Serving Size: ½ cup
Calories 198, Protein 7 g, Carbohydrates 36 g, Total fat 3 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 174 mg, Sugars 1 g, Fiber 6 g