Three Bean Chicken Chili
By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Kylie Held
Here’s a quick and easy recipe that will help you get dinner on the table in no time. And the best part? You probably have most of these ingredients on hand.
A Spanish-influenced chicken chili infused with smoked paprika and cilantro. Topped with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro for a light, yet filling lunch or dinner that can easily be made ahead of time.
|3||boneless, skinless chicken breasts|
|1 teaspoon||onion powder|
|½ teaspoon||smoked paprika|
|½ teaspoon||chili powder|
|½ teaspoon||garlic powder|
|1 tablespoon||olive oil|
|1||medium onion, diced|
|3 cloves||garlic, chopped|
|3 cups||low sodium chichen broth|
|2 cans (15-ounce size)||tri-bean Blend (pinto, kidney, black), drained|
|1 can (14.5-ounce size)||fire-roasted, diced tomatoes, low or no added salt (undrained)|
|1 can (4-ounce size)||green chiles, diced (undrained)|
|¼ cup||plain Greek yogurt|
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Trim all visible fat off the chicken breasts. Place trimmed chicken into a foil-lined oven-safe dish.
3. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine cumin, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder and garlic powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
5. In a dutch oven over medium-low heat, add 1 tablespoons olive oil. Add diced onion and slowly cook until softened and translucent, stirring frequently. Should take about 15-20 minutes.
6. Shred cooked chicken and set aside (Note: Easy way to shred chicken is to place the cooked breast into the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Press the paddle attachment into the chicken and turn on the mixer to shred chicken).
7. Add garlic to softened/translucent onions and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
8. Add in chicken and spice mixture. Stir to incorporate chicken and spices.
9. Add in chicken broth, 1 can of drained/washed beans, undrained tomatoes and undrained green chiles. Stir everything together.
10. Drain/wash the other can of beans and place the beans into a food processor. Blend until the beans resemble refried beans.
11. Stir pureed beans into the chili.
12. Bring chili to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and partially cover.
13. Simmer for 20 minutes (or longer).
14. Serve by garnishing each bowl with 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 6 servings (~7 cups)
Serving Size: 1-¼ cup chili with 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt and 2 teaspoons cilantro
Calories 362.3, Protein 41.8, Carbohydrates 33.7 g, Total fat 6.8 g, Cholesterol 73.2 mg, Sodium 218.7 mg, Sugars 3.8 g, Fiber 9.8 g