Dark Chocolate Black Bean Brownies
By Robin Plotkin, RD LD and Destini Borchardt
You may never have thought that beans could be used in a dessert recipe... well here goes! You may find that black beans have never tasted so good. They are paired with dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants while black beans help by adding fiber. This fiber can make you feel more full and satisfied. Try a small serving to satisfy your sweet tooth. You can even cut the brownies into small individual size portions and freeze them. While you have some cut, wrap them in plastic party bags and share them with your friends. After they taste these delicious brownies, ask them if they can tell what the secret ingredient is.... black beans! Who would have guessed!!
|2 cups||black beans, rinsed and drained|
|2||eggs, slightly beaten|
|¼ cup||coconut sugar|
|¼ cup||cocoa powder|
|1 tablespoon||baking powder|
|½ cup||dark chocolate chips for topping|
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350o F.
2. Blend black beans alone for 2-3 minutes. Next, add all of the other ingredients, except the dark chocolate chips, to the blender. Blend on low until all ingredients are well mixed.
Note: There should be no whole black beans left.
3. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish and pour batter inside.
4. Top with dark chocolate chips.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean after inserting in the center.
6. Cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
7. Store in air-tight container.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 9 servings
Serving Size: 1/9 square portion
Calories 88, Protein 3.7 g, Carbohydrates 16 g, Total fat 1.7 g, Cholesterol 41 mg, Sodium 108 mg, Sugars 7.6 g, Fiber 3 g