Creativity with Protein
By David Fouts
Protein foods can get a bit dull if you don’t mix in some creativity. This recipe from includes three excellent sources of protein: eggs, chicken and cheese. It is a delicious way to get your protein while delighting your palate.
Chicken, Cilantro and Cheddar Egg Delight
|1 cup||egg substitute|
|2 tablespoons||skim milk|
|1/2 pound||pound boneless skinless chicken breast, 1⁄2” cubes|
|3/4 cup||Mojo marinade (found in your local grocery store)|
|1⁄2 teaspoon||garlic, chopped|
|1 teaspoon||fresh chives, chopped|
|1 teaspoon||fresh cilantro, chopped|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1/2 cup||tomato, chopped|
|1 cup||fat cheddar cheese, shredded|
|vegetable cooking spray, as needed|
Method of Preparation
1. Marinate chicken in Mojo for 1 hour.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs and skim milk and mix well.
3. Next, in an 8-inch sauté pan, over medium heat, coat pan with vegetable cooking spray.
4. Add 1⁄4 garlic, 1⁄4 chive, 1⁄4 cilantro and 1⁄4 chicken and sauté for 6 minutes.
5. Pour 1⁄4 of egg mixture over sautéed chicken. Egg will begin to firm up. Once egg is firm enough to flip, use a spatula and flip over.
6. Add cheese on top of cooked egg and fold 1⁄2 of cooked egg over top.
7. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with cilantro and tomato. Serve hot.
8. Repeat process for the remaining omelets.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 4 servings
Calories 140, Protein 25 g, Carbohydrates 2 g, Total fat 3 g, Cholesterol 39 mg, Sodium 299 mg, Fiber 0 g