Kick up Your Salad
By Emily Thevis, RD LDN
Salads don’t have to be all about the lettuce. Try using an alternative vegetable for your base, like summer squash. Get creative and jazz it up with some herbs, citrus, and crispy prosciutto for a refreshing new favorite. You can turn it into a meal by adding some grilled shrimp or chicken.
|2 medium||yellow squash|
|3 slices||prosciutto, thin|
|¼ cup||ricotta cheese|
|2 tablespoons||mint, sliced|
|1 tablespoon||extra virgin olive oil|
|1 teaspoon||lemon juice|
|½ teaspoon||lemon rind, grated|
|¼ teaspoon||black pepper, ground|
Method of Preparation
1. Use a vegetable peeler to shave zucchini and squash into ribbons. Remove seeds.
2. Toss zucchini and squash in bowl with salt.
3. Mix mint, olive oil, lemon rind and juice, and pepper in small bowl. Pour over zucchini and toss.
4. Sauté prosciutto in skillet over medium heat until crisp (about 2 minutes).
5. Portion salad on plates. Top each with 1 tablespoon of cheese and sprinkle with prosciutto.
Yield and Servings
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: ¾ cup
Calories 139, Protein 9 g, Carbohydrates 10 g, Total fat 8 g, Cholesterol 23 mg, Sodium 649 mg, Sugars 7 g, Fiber 2 g