Are You Eating Breakfast?
By Lindsey House, RD LD Certified Personal Trainer through the American Council on Exercise and Beth Taschuk, RD LD
Are you a breakfast eater? Some people are while others are not. Right now you may have been thrown off your typical eating routine since you have had to spend more time at home.
Reach out to your dietitian if breakfast is something you should include as part of your meal plan. If it is and you are having trouble, take a minute to write down your own reasons for skipping breakfast. Some patients attribute skipping breakfast to busy schedules or lack of planning… these ideas may help.
Benefits of Eating Breakfast:
- It is an excellent time to work on meeting your protein requirements.
- Breakfast provides the fuel you need to feel more energetic.
- It jumpstarts your metabolism and breaks your ‘fast’ from your sleep.
- Eating breakfast helps to balance daily calories.
- Individuals who skip breakfast tend to make up the calories and then some later in the day.
The best way to assure you are consuming a healthy breakfast is to plan ahead. Make sure the grocery shopping is done before the week begins and pre-package meal options if you need to take them on the go. You may enjoy some of these healthy breakfast options.
1. Low sugar protein shake
2. High fiber cereal sprinkled in light yogurt
3. Turkey sausage dipped in sugar-free maple syrup
4. Scrambled egg sprinkled with low-fat shredded cheese
5. Cottage cheese and pineapple chunks
Remember that breakfast can be one more way to reach your goals and at the same time, start your day off right.